I took off a month of work and am currently touring the eastern US by motorcycle. I don't have a set itinerary except visit some friends in Florida, see the Atlantis shuttle launch from Kennedy, and see another friend in Philly... I'm making the rest up as a I go along

Thursday, May 13, 2010

I planned to leave by May 5 but didn't get out of Chicago till the 8th. I ended up over tightening and breaking a bolt that connects the handlebar assembly to the front fork an hour before I was suppose to leave. Luckily the replacement came in within two days and I was off. That repair was in addition to replacing two thermostatic switches on the cooling system, changing the oil/filter, air filter, coolant and front tire. Above is a photo of my stripped down bike before the trip


Skipped most of Indiana but stayed at Versailles State park before I left the state passing through Aurora, IN:

my route:
View East US Tour in a larger map

Coincidentally my route through Kentucky took me down the same road to Harlan, some of you may remember this city with the flood walls similar to Harlan:

I don't have a map of the state until I'm well within it in so my route isn't the quickest or most direct but it got me to Florida just the same. It's been slow going though. I didn't account for small motorcycle trouble every single day like a tipped bike in Kentucky, or a drained battery in Tennessee. Luckily people helped me in both occasions and with the battery issue a harley rider called a buddy up who brought a trickle charger. They waited an hour until my bat was charged. Tennessee you're alright.

Started the trip with 8745 miles on the bike... reached 10001 somewhere in Georgia. I'm currently resting in Jacksonville. I'll post videos soon.

2 comments:

  1. Frank, this is awesome! The American flag is a nice touch. Ride safe, keep the posts/photos coming.

    -Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, I can't tell you how many people turn their heads when I go by. You should be on this trip too!

    ReplyDelete