I took off a month of work and am currently touring the eastern US by motorcycle. I don't have a set itinerary except visit some friends in Florida, see the Atlantis shuttle launch from Kennedy, and see another friend in Philly... I'm making the rest up as a I go along

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The City That Never Sleeps

Staten Island, Verrazano Narrows Bridge

I rolled into New York City, after fighting traffic through the Lincoln Tunnel, during Fleet Week. Apparently several Navy and Coast Guard ships were docked in town for the week, partly to let their crews visit New York and partly as a recruitment tool. Seeing as my tour turned into everything and anything American I spent most of my days checking out the ships and aircraft.


You think it's bad in Chicago's winter? In NYC: double parking is "allowed" the entire block during alternate side parking hours.

I stayed at the cheapest, most luxurious hostel yet right next to Central Park in Manhattan. Rode the subway to go eat hot dogs and pizza, rode my bike around to Staten Island and through the Bronx as well. The traffic in New York, no matter what any else says about their city is theee worst I have been through. I can't stand sitting in traffic which is why I ride a bicycle in Chicago and why I lane skipped for the first time with my motorcycle in New York. Fun times.

I'm at a public library, and it won't let me upload videos. Screen shots will have to suffice for now!

I also had a wonderful roommate. We went to a jazz club on Broadway one night and the next I gave her a ride on the motorcycle around town and over the Manhattan bridge. The late evening is when New York City is at its best. The traffic dies down and the city is ablaze with lights. She was awesome company and one of the reasons I loved my stay in New York.

Broadway?!

You can easily walk from one side of Manhattan to the other in no time. So many people are crammed into that one little island and I've met several great people because of it. I was worried about parking my bike on the street at first but never had a problem. Next to a bicycle, a motorcycle was a great way to navigate city traffic, just gotta watch out for cabs.

I wish I had taken more photos at night... I was just too caught up in the city life and living in the moment to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment